CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 06, 2008

Walking Through History

The past 3 weeks, I have been taking power walks during my lunch break, and since I work in downtown Jackson, there's a lot to see that you miss by driving past at 30 miles per hour. I've lived in Jackson 15 years, and I've worked downtown for 12 years, and I've never seen these landmarks up close. From my office, I can easily walk to several Jackson landmarks and back, so to make my walks more interesting, I've been visiting these places of interest. One day I walked to/around Greenwood Cemetery where Eudora Welty, 7 Mississippi governors, 6 Confederate generals, and 400 unknown Confederate soldiers, are buried. Another day I walked down historic Jefferson Street, passing grand houses, including The Oaks House Museum (pictured here), which is one of the few buildings that survived when General Sherman burned Jackson to the ground. A third day I walked to the Mississippi War Memorial downtown by the Old Capitol, which is undergoing reconstruction right now after damage from Hurricane Katrina. Next up is the Winter Archives and History Building, and if the legislature will ever go home I will walk at the Capitol building.

0 comments: